Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Branded Weekend Decadence with Addendum 8/9/05

I had a nice weekend, including my favorite, a rainy Sunday. There isn’t much I like more than that. I feel rested, or at least relatively, especially after what can best be characterized as a day’s collapse, Saturday. I did a quick run of power shopping Saturday morning to get the week’s groceries bought and stowed, then got back into my pseudo-jammies and watched three old movies on television, with my boys, #2 and #3. We watched Blast From the Past with Brendan Fraser, Alicia Silverstone, Sissy Spacek and Christopher Walken. I had never seen it before, but liked it more than I expected. That was followed by Jim Abraham’s Hot Shots, with Charlie Sheen, Carey Elwes, Lloyd Bridges, et al, long one of my favorite funny movies. We laughed some more and cooked and ate a bag of Tyson’s honey barbeque chicken wings (highly recommended, in the freezer section), as well as some substantial portions of Publix deli spinach and artichoke dip with garlic bagel chips, talking and laughing, sometimes over the dialog, but always during the commercials. Then we watched Tim Burton’s first, dark Batman (Keaton, Bassinger, Nicholson) and noshed on hot dogs, happy that the good stuff (Hebrew National) had been on sale. It had been years since I’d seen either of the latter two movies and I thoroughly enjoyed the movies, the boys, the wicked indulgent food and the collapse, immensely.

.

Sunday I stayed late in my pajamas and watched the rain, before lunch out with Mama, Li’l Sis and Sister visiting from Texas. We had a really delightful brunch at Brio, part of the Bravo! group of restaurants. It’s a chain, but lovely, nonetheless, and I had Eggs Brio, poached eggs on medallions of beef tenderloin, atop cooked, Parmesan-encrusted tomato slices, of course, all drizzled generously with real, fresh Hollandaise sauce. It was unbelievable, accompanied by roasted potatoes and Mimosas. I felt fortunate indeed, and heartily recommend everything I had, including the shared sinful Chocolate cake topped with ice cream and drizzled with caramel.

.

Visiting Sister returned home with us to stay for the night and, sated, we had a light dinner of boiled shrimp (Kroger brand, frozen bagged, surprisingly not bad!) and field greens salad (also Kroger brand from a bag) with a sprinkling of chopped Vidalia onions, sliced carrots, shredded cheddar and pine nuts, and dressed with combined Publix brand balsamic vinaigrette dressing with just a tad of Naturally Fresh Blue Cheese mixed in, thoroughly tossed. I did laundry (schlepping the long haul uphill, not quite so thrilled about the continuing rain) and we sisters visited. A good time was had by all, and I returned to work yesterday morning feeling fine, like I’d really had a weekend.

 

Addendum:

While it was balanced a bit this Tuesday morning by the safe return of the space shuttle, I was saddened to learn yesterday of the passing of Peter Jennings. I have always liked ABC news, feeling that it comes the closest among the major networks to having a genuine news organization deployed worldwide (“Nightline” and late-night “World News Now” being among my favorite programs), but it was in the days and weeks after September 11th that I came to feel that Peter Jennings (and Diane Sawyer and Charles Gibson) were somehow with me. Last night, watching "World News Tonight", they replayed a clip of Jennings telling people during that frightening time to contact their children living away from home and it caught me by surprise, causing first a quick gasp for air, then tears. I will never forget the feeling of separation from my oldest child, immediately after September 11th, 2001, only three weeks into his freshman year in college, 450 miles away from home. We were all so scared. I am grateful to Jennings for his wisdom and comfort over these years and truly saddened by the loss. The events of the world will not seem the same without his reporting of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment