Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Cold and happy Saturday ramblings 2/4/06

All in all, given the difficult things that have been happening, this week ended on an up note, even a couple of them. Son #3, the one left at home, had his last two basketball games of the season, losses, playing grumpily but oh so nobly, and very well, on a swollen and bruised ankle, an injury he unluckily sustained in Monday's practice. It was good to gather for these two games (Thursday and Friday) with this particular school community, still reeling from the recent death of one '05 graduate and the incarceration of another, both former basketball and baseball teammates of my son. My boy has played all his games since Lewis' passing, wearing a black arm band and a couple of other players wore black head bands. I am hopeful that one or two of the boys I met during the course of basketball will also join us on my baseball team this coming spring. I have gotten the league's permission for us to be the Marlins (Lewis often wore his ever-present Marlins hat during warm ups) and we will play our season in honor of Fish.

I had an interesting talk at last evening's game with the mother of one of the boys who says he wants to play baseball with us. A beautiful woman, divorced from his father and remarried, she asked me about my status and I said I was separated. She asked me if I was going out with anyone and I told her I just couldn't imagine such a thing. It doesn't really have anything to do with still being married, because that's more about business and having complex financial issues that need to be resolved prior to divorcing. I know we will never be "together" again, 'cause we were never really "together" in the first place. It wasn't a marriage from the very beginning and being "out" of it just feels so much better, but, as I've said here before, I can't imagine ever dating anyone. She really made me feel better because she said she had the exact same experience and would probably still be single were it not for her close friendship with the good friend, whom she ended up marrying. I am pretty damn sure I will never marry again (please shoot me if I dare say otherwise), not after what happened last time, because nothing could make me believe that he wouldn't completely change forever, the moment we got married, but that's no big deal. At my age, there aren't many incentives for such foolishness (marriage). I guess that mainly, I cannot imagine dating, in full view of my children, and I'm not exactly sure why.

Anyway.... the good news. Son number two tells me that he's paperwork away from acquiring another scholarship that will make it possible for him to stay at Loyola in New Orleans for two more years, without any more loans. Now, if the Royalty Fairy (TM Paula Reed) hadn't so sucked recently (or if his father was working again), I would be able to afford keeping him there. Frankly, the living I'm making at the Knocking Shit Down company is enough to keep food in the fridge and a roof over our heads here (not to mention the high entertainment factor working there provides), but the place in NOLA and the place in NC are just about killing me (without the help of the aforementioned, recently stingy Royalty Fairy). Supposedly, this new scholarship, endowed by an individual, is $10,000 a year towards tuition and fees plus $500/month towards living expenses and, when added to his Loyola Scholarship, would put us over the top and make it possible for him to continue living in the Sliver by the River, racking up experiences about which to write, gaining education, in the classroom and for this remarkable time in that amazing city, until he graduates. I am thrilled for him and proud of his initiative in finding this (ok, it sort of landed in his lap, but they say you make your own luck).

The other good news was a huge milestone in the Matter About Which I Cannot Speak. The Other Side having made a motion for a Summary Judgment, which would have been the end of it for us, but the judge ruled in our favor and we will either go to trial or entertain a settlement offer. We received this enormously happy, relieving and long-anticipated news at the end of the day yesterday and I've been smiling ever since. I know that lawyers get a bad rap (rep?), but both in matters related to our patents and this matter, which is in no way related to the patents and is tended to by different counsel, our attorneys have been our knights on white horses, and I am incredibly grateful for their advocacy (plus, these guys really know how to throw a holiday party!).

Speaking of lawyers, I ran into Floyd last night at my favorite watering hole. We've met before but had not really talked much. Last night, we were among the five or six "regulars" (including one of my coworkers and one of my bosses, who generously bought!) left late in the evening, hovered around the corner of the bar ("prime real estate") and the talk turned to our blogs. I have visited hers and it's well worth the read so I've added a link in my gutter. Please pay Floyd a visit and tell her that Sophmom sent you.

There's a cold wind blowing and the temperature has been dropping all day. We will build a fire tonight. I don't know where I plan to watch the Super Bowl, or which team I will end up rooting for. That will happen naturally, or not. I think I have previously mentioned here and there that football is dead to me (at least it has been since my Dirty Birds were eliminated from post season play), but I will watch tomorrow night, either at the aforementioned watering hole, or more likely at home, curled up cozily in front of the fire, wondering if the advertisers spent their buckets of money well (particularly interested in the controversial GoDaddy! spot) and hoping that the snow they are threatening for Monday will really get this far south. It never does.

Peace, ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment