Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas Condensed 12/26/05

It was a whole lot, real fast. After the whirlwind last day at work Thursday, which included the Christmas Party, held in a striped-down hangar of an old warehouse that we're about to knock down. We had local bar-b-que served, protected from the dirt and grease by a cardboard cover on the track of an excavator parked inside for service. We had chairs around and under the arm and the bucket. I ordered the food and picked up the drinks. A few guys brought beer and the management had a few. I abstained. Too much to do. A stop back at the office told me that there was no way I could finish transcribing the legal description, from a yellow hand script onscreen, blown up 800x from the PDF of the plans, of a property we're about to demolish. I went in Friday morning to knock it out so we can knock it down. Since I left the office early Friday afternoon, I bought, put up and decorated a tree; bought and wrapped enough so that everyone had something to open on Christmas morning, and hopefully something they either wanted or needed; and shopped and cooked the food. I think I achieved this. There's something to be said for buying a tree on December 23rd: $9.99 at Home Depot, although it's a tad uncomfortable driving around with it on top of the car, so late. I recommend going straight home and enlisting the help of someone else to remove and install it. My husband (With Whom I have Completed the Cohabitation Phase of the Marriage) arrived for the visit on Thursday, over my protestations and seems to have tried be helpful, if not considerate, and his walking the old blind dog has really freed up some time for me. Unfortunately sometimes even his helpfulness causes pain to the recipient. I was grateful that he pitched in and did laundry while I did Christmas from start to finish in 72 hours, but the boys are minus the nicest sweater they owned because their Dad did laundry. Unfortunately they made the mistake of telling him to watch for it, showing it to him, and explaining it needed to be washed gently in cold water and either hung or laid flat to dry. Everybody makes a mistake, so perhaps it wasn't intentional, but watching him get angry at us for his having done this, completely unable to express (experience?) remorse or contrition, was chilling. There was very little discussion of the matter because nothing good could possibly come of it. We are crowded in this little apartment, but it's been fairly pleasant. The tree was really very lovely, a perfect shape and size, remarkably fresh, the gifts were appropriate and, in some cases, pleasant surprises, and the food has been really pretty wonderful. Friday afternoon I picked up a Honey Baked Ham for home, with nice rolls and mustards, only to learn yesterday that the oldest has had one at his home in North Carolina, for the last week of school, a greatly appreciated gift from his roommate's Dad, and is suffering from ham fatigue. I am thinking I will pick up and cook a small turkey breast today, for him, because we've gotten past Christmas without eating turkey. I was up late Christmas Eve, finishing the tree and wrapping, and especially enjoyed watching the Vatican mass on television. My middle son remarked that it was the first time he had seen it celebrated by anyone other than John Paul II, specifically, anyone who was so, for lack of a better word, vital. He wasn't saying it was good or bad, just different. I cooked a big Christmas morning breakfast of bacon (making enough extra to have some to crumble into the green beans), sausage, biscuits and eggs. I made enough so that sausage biscuits can be warmed up this morning, but it's past noon and this house is hardly stirring. I am writing from bed on the folded out sofa in the living room, and just beginning to hear the boys talking in the room next door. The food was most definitely the star this weekend, planned on the run and bought hurry-up at the last minute to match the centerpiece mushroom and herb stuffed beef tenderloins (2) my sister and her husband prepared in their Big Green Egg (http://www.biggreenegg.com). I am indeed aware of how hugely fortunate I am to be invited to this feast, and I hope that I can find some way of making it worth her while to continue to include me and mine, because this particular dish may very well be the single most delicious thing I've ever eaten in my entire life. My wonderful brother-in-law was kind enough to insist I take a serving much larger than I could eat, resulting in my having at least a modest portion, left over. Our younger sister provided lightly whipped and baked sweet potato souffle, perfectly flavored with orange, allspice, honey and butter. I made a casserole, layering cooked rice, steamed broccoli, sauteed mushrooms and onions and liberal amounts of cheese: Montery jack, Colby and sharp cheddar, baked with a cracker crumb top crust. I also sauteed the green beans, but not too much, with crumbled bacon, onions, garlic, and pine nuts. They were consumed. I think I may try them again and add a sprinkling of feta cheese. I feel satisfied and pleased with the gifts I gave and happy with those I received. A CD I'd wanted for a while, Rob Thomas' "...something to be" and and the Gram Parson tribute CD, "Return of the grievous angel". I also got one book: "Cooking with Grease - Sitrring the Pots in America" by Donna Brazile. I've hung around in my PJs until afternoon and will now roust myself into some kind of action (or the appearance thereof). I am glad to have this Monday after Christmas off, although I think I'd be happier had I turned the television off to write this. I am grateful that my kids are safe and my husband lives somewhere else, but, watching CNN about the Christmas killings in Virginia leaves me making a silent note to myself that it's just never a good idea to allow mentally ill people to have access to guns. Peace. ...and gobs of chocolate chip cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment