Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Holiday spirit or the lack thereof 12/6/05

I've had a hard time finding my holiday spirit this year, but today feels like I'm getting closer. For one thing, I've been walking around all morning (ok, so more like sitting at my desk and getting up now and then), with "It's Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas" lilting through my head. Unfortunately, I don't know all of the words so the first few lines of it are lilting over and over and over again. I'm not sure why that's happening, but I think it might be a result of my running across some fallen mistletoe while walking the old blind dog this morning. It was just lying there, scattered on the ground in little bunches. I'm guessing it was the leftovers after some enterprising resident knocked (shot) some out of the top of a nearby tree. Anyway, it seemed to me to be some kind of sign, so I picked it up, carried it inside, gave it a "fresh cut" and stuck it in a vase (jar) of water. I'm sure I'll find some festive decorative use for it later (right).

Maybe I'm just feeling in the spirit (sort of) because of the weather. It feels like it should snow. Of course, it never does, so we have to be content with the high 30's and persistent drizzle that's headed our way. Still, it's gray and windy and cool enough to give the sense that snow might should be coming. While my conscious mind knows it won't (because it *never* snows here) my subconscious mind associates this sort of weather with impending snow. I suppose it's residual, from my years in West Virginia and North Carolina, but it's disconcerting.

Anyway, I'm going to sneak over to my storage unit during my lunch break (or after work, or maybe tomorrow) and fetch my Christmas decorations, resolving to actually put a tree up this weekend and place some kind of Christmasy thing on our door, perhaps utilizing my newly found mistletoe. I keep putting the run to the storage unit off, in hopes of finding an assistant to accompany me because it seems logical to get the baseball equipment out of the back of the vehicle, but the bag is big (huge) and weighs a ton (bats, catcher's gear, etc.) and, heck, it's not that long until it'll be time to use it again, so maybe I'll just put the Christmas stuff in the back seat and keep riding around with the baseball equipment for a little while longer. One never knows when one might need that stuff. Maybe a trip to the batting cages is what I really need to put me in the holiday spirit.

A glance out my door reveals that the cold mist if falling almost sideways in the brisk wind. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Edit: Yowzers! I just got back from fetching lunch, which I am eating at my desk (do I know how to have fun, or what?). There' s NO WAY I'm going fumbling around in that big, cold storage unit by myself in this weather!  Darn it. I guess I won't be decorating tonight, but, while I was driving in the drizzle, "A Christmas Song" (a/k/a "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire") replaced this morning's song in my head. I have no idea where it might have come from, but, in light of my earlier entry, it made me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment