Wednesday, December 28, 2011

December Dispatches 12/21/05

The Royalty Fairy sucked this month (credit to Paula Reed for coining "Royalty Fairy" - it's just too good not to use, Paula). The good news is that the aforementioned sucking got us actually talking to our licensee (not exactly a loving relationship) and things appear to be changing for the better. While there were no royalties this month, something that has only happened once before in their years as our licensee, there are jobs in progress. Also, it appears that a certain other entity that has been a thorn (read: machete) in our side from the beginning of this seems to have fallen out of favor, and just perhaps, going forward, there are signs that things in general might improve. In the meantime, I'm less worried about Christmas than I am about keeping food in our bellies, a roof over our heads, and the boys in their respective schools. Please keep us in your prayers.

********************************************

I went to the most amazing party last Friday night. It was hosted by some of our local attorneys. Now, these are not our patent lawyers, who are in Washington, but represent us in another matter about which I cannot speak. They are plaintiffs' attorneys who represent people who have been injured, harmed, damaged or otherwise just plain screwed (or all of the above, which is the case with us... at least figuratively). They are contingency attorneys who stand up for David against Goliath. Their party was in a large ballroom-like area on the main floor of their office building downtown, one of the oldest, most beautiful buildings in this fair city, adorned with ornately carved marble mined not far north of here in the hills. I would guess that, of the three hundred fifty or so guests at this party, we were among the ten or twelve who were not black, and, not coincidentally, among the ten or twelve worst dressed people in the room. I never in my life saw so many beautiful clothes on so many beautiful people! The food was fabulous (think: sliced beef tenderloin and shrimp the size of my hands), the jazz quintet was incredible and the Lieutenant Governor showed up, stood up and talked (having, of course, nothing to do with the fact that he's running for governor). It was really quite something. The Husband With Whom I Have Completed The Cohabitation Phase Of The Marriage came to town for it (since he's the one who is their client) and at least waited until after the party to behave like a jerk. I guess I should be glad for that.

***********************************************

We have an owl in our woods. The first time I heard it, the sound was so strong and, well, owlish, that I thought it must be some person somewhere, perhaps a kid behind the nearby high school, imitating owl sounds, but it hasn't stopped, it moves around in the woods, and is most active late at night, so I'm betting it's the real thing. We had an owl in the woods across the street from our house (back when we lived in our house). Sometimes I thought that owl was paying attention to me, because it always seemed like he would welcome me with his hooting each time I walked out onto our upstairs balcony. I would answer his calls on occasion, and he would inevitably reply. We're really not at all far from there now, as the owl flies, and sometimes I wonder if this might even be the same owl, relocated only slightly, like me. If not the same fellow, then perhaps his kin, or his progeny? Who-whoever he is, he's gotten much more talkative these cold winter nights.

************************************************                  

Yesterday, sitting at my desk, I heard the whir of the fax machine cranking up in the next room, signaling an incoming fax. It was a long one, and, as is my habit, I waited until I heard it stop to get up and go see what it was. It was an environmental survey and a request for a demolition bid, the kind of thing we get a lot of around here. This one was interesting though, because it was a request for us to bid on the demolition of an industrial building in this city with which I have a history: the building in which our patented product was developed, where the prototypes and early products were manufactured. I am not sure why it feels so deeply satisfying to think we might get to knock it down, but it does. If I need to ask to be forgiven for that, then so be it, but the whole thing was so painful and caused us such great loss that I can't help it. This morning, I learned that the demolition of another plant that manufactured products that infringed on our patents is up for bid. I can't say that I'm sad about that one either.

************************************************

My best friend became a grandmother this past weekend. She did so, while not under the best of circumstances, with such incredible grace and poise that I am awestruck with respect for her and for her husband (nothing new there). While this baby has come into this world, the unexpected child of children, there is no doubt at all that he will be loved and cared for, as much as any planned birth, and more than many. May his life be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment