Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Quick news 6/7/06

My DSL has been down at home since Saturday morning. We had a pretty good thunderstorm overnight and early Saturday morning we had a series of power surges. I spent a fair part of Sunday on the phone with Earthlink tech support and trouble shot the inside lines but found no problems. When I last checked yesterday afternoon, I still had an open "trouble ticket" and they were checking on the "telephony", whatever that means. It's making me crazy. I could reconfigure everything and dial up but I know that as soon as I got that done, they'd fix the problem, whatever it is. I have a whole lot of catching up to do in this little corner of the blogosphere.

I guess it could have been worse doing without internet because we've had the distraction of lots of baseball this week. My little last-seeded team has surprised everyone, including themselves, and advanced to the third round of our league's playoffs in the winners' bracket. Last night we upset the number one seed 3-2 in a real barn-burner. They had the tying run on 3B with only one out in the bottom of the last inning when we intentionally walked their number 4 hitter to set up the double play, which we turned 6-4-3 on the next pitch to end the game. I am tired and hoarse and happy. We play the second seed tomorrow. Whatever happens next we have already exceeded expectations, even our own.

Tonight The Youngest begins practice for the summer (more competitive and older players) wooden bat league. I'm very excited because he is playing with some old friends we haven't played with for years. Also, it's a relief that I'm not running the team and can relax and enjoy it more. On the new team, I will be more of a Team Mom/scorekeeper than a General Manager. We will have at least three kids on the roster who are playing college baseball or will be next year, and it should be a blast. As it stands now, even with these college pitchers on our roster, The Youngest is the only catcher.

We're crazy busy at the KnockingShitDownCo and there's rumor of settlement possibilities in the still-open mediation in The Matter About Which I Cannot Speak. Although, it wouldn't be retirement $$$ or anything, aside from being justly deserved from a couple of directions, it would ease the pressure for a while, cover our tuition needs and keep this little family on its current track for a while longer. It might even make it possible for me to branch out and do a few things I want to do rather than having to continue working outside of any of my actual areas of expertise. It kind of feels like good things are happening right now.

Finally, if you read nothing else today, please read Should I Stay or Should I Go? by Dale over at Flood and Loathing. It will make you laugh as well as cry. Dale, who teaches writing at a university that is close to my heart, says some of the same things I've tried to say, only he says them sooooo much better than I ever could. It's a wonderful post and deserves to be shared with as many people as possible.

I hope everyone out there who stops by here is jolly and healthy and enjoying life this fine day. If you're not, I hope that things turn around for you soon, especially those of who may be facing this hurricane season toiling amidst the aftermath of Katrina. Sometimes joy is so elusive, like trying to hold onto smoke. I wish it for each of you.

Peace, out, ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment