Wednesday, December 28, 2011

May Dispatches 5/30/05

Finally, we have gotten some rain. It's been a dry month, but it started raining Sunday and continues. We needed it, and I'm always pleased when the spillway is full and I can hear and feel the "waterfall" hidden in the woods behind the apartment. It was even kind of nice grilling and eating in the drizzle Sunday, into the night, festively, celebrating a birthday with the ladies who live below us and a passle of their friends. We had lots of fun.

I am also grateful for the baseball rainout yesterday. We've had a much needed break, without a game since last Thursday. We lost our last five games and ended up being 6-7, at one time giving up 48 runs in 4 games in 4 days. Ouch. As it turns out, I was right about the manager. He was not fit to manage, was irregular in his attendance, no-showing numerous games and showing up once in the 5th inning, watching two pitches before asking for time and heading to the mound (we were winning). My son popped up from behind the plate, pulled off his mask and headed to the mound proclaiming, "Coach, you can't do this, you can't pull him, you haven't even been here!" Often he would show up right at game time, after I (with the help of one other Mom who is also an experienced coach) had done all the work, and take over without regard to what was already in place, changing the boys' already set positions. He would berate the players on the field, often when he had some responsibility for the miscue, and then continue the harangue in the dugout, before persistently muttering loudly about it for the remainder of the game.

As it turns out, the assistant coach complained to the league before I did. As I know from experience is often the case, the crazy coach would realize he'd misbehaved, and be just good enough for a game or two to not be removed. The discourse between those on the team and those in league management  takes some time. By the time the league was in full agreement with the assistant coach and I, we only had two regular season games left before the crazy coach was to leave for a vacation to Italy. I am waiting for league management's promise that he will not be allowed to return to the dugout should we still be alive in the playoffs when he returns. More later.

***************************************

We've moved into our new offices and are still trying to get settled. The phone system is in and the front offices are painted and recarpeted, but we're still waiting on the server and the new computers and are working on folding tables in the back (warehouse) space while we (they) decide what kind of furniture to buy. I'm trying to keep out of the furniture thing, as it's not my money, but it's funny watching them shop and argue and not be able to make up their minds. Being in the back room with my bosses has definitely cut back on my internet time at work.

***************************************

Both older sons were here for a visit during May, but are both now back to their respective homes for the summer. Oldest is going to summer school in Wilmington (both sessions) in his effort to graduate next spring and #2 is just now back in New Orleans looking for a job and getting settled into his new quarters (a house, just a block off the parade route). I miss them. My little nest is feeling empty.

****************************************

Youngest son wrecked my Blacura. I am looking for something (cheap) to drive. *sigh*

 

No comments:

Post a Comment