Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Where is Sophmom? 11/26/04

I have looked high and low, near and far, and I simply cannot find Sophmom. There has been way too much going on in my life since the election to detail here and now, but it has been eventful enough that, as vigorously as I search for my alter ego, my voice, I search in vain and am left sitting here, alone, with no one but myself to speak for me.

I thought if I redecorated the blog a bit, turned it in to my own little "blue" state, it might help me find my lost voice. We shall see, but I'm now tetering perilously near monochromatic, defiantly bland, in hope that the lack of fluff will lead to substance, because in my heart I believe it's the words that count.

My boys are in town for Thanksgiving. It was exciting passage as we experienced some violent weather in the South during the days before the holiday, but we were blessed and they got home safely from their adopted homes in Louisiana and North Carolina, respectively. Of course, like the rest of the country, we're tired and stuffed and I, for one, am quite content to not leave the house on this day after Thanksgiving, but rather to tend the fire, graze on leftovers and look for Sophmom.

This is the longest I've gone without posting since I started this online journal in June. When I built My Rants, I didn't ever give much thought to having readers, and never in my wildest dreams did I expect it to evolve into a platform for political opinion, but somehow both of those things happened. Since the election, I've given consideration to archiving the content and starting anew from a blank slate, writing again about my children and my life and quitting politics for good, but that seems cowardly, head-in-the-sand, and I will try sprucing up the place (or sprucing down the place) instead.

I've been looking for a job, which has been fun and exciting, and I've interviewed for a handful of positions, diverse and interesting. It's exciting not to know what's going to happen next, but to know that, whatever it may be, it will be different. Change invigorates us, refreshes us, keeps us young, and I am content with the knowledge that there's another chapter to be written in my life, one that I cannot fully imagine but to which I am completely and consciously open.

To my kind and patient friends in the blog world: Thank you each for you supportive words and encouragement. I hope that all of you are safe and healthy and happy this holiday weekend (even those of you who live in countries that don't celebrate this holiday!). Maybe I will be better now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment